A new raised bed….maybe.

What a busy weekend!  Nearly all of Saturday was devoted to building things.  I found a handy design online from  someone who had made raised beds from pallet trays, borrowed a jigsaw from  Mr EN and got to work.  I’ve never actually used a jig saw before, and have to say enjoyed getting to grips with how to use it.  My least enjoyable part was I think extracting the nails.  Some  were ok, but some were absolute bar stewards, and refused to come out without first receiving a stern talking to for about 10 minutes with a large hammer.  I am a rather slightly built lady, but what I lack in bulk I make up for in enthusiasm, and there was no way a stubborn pallet was getting the better of me!

Here are the results of my efforts with the jig saw and hammer :

Stage2

The next bit was almost simple in comparison, and just involved screwing the relevant bits together,  resulting in a nice 6’x3′ raised bed 🙂

Stage3

A slight concern has been raised since I made it by a colleague, who says he bought one because he heard that pallet wood can be contaminated.  I have done a quick google and there do seem to be some concerns regarding pallet wood.  Mostly it seems to be around pallets that are pre 2005, but I don’t know how old any of these guys are.  All the sites talk about stamps on the  pallets to idenify  them, but I didn’t notice any stamps, and besides, pallets are used for carrying lots of different loads over the course of there lifetime, and there is no way  of identifying all of  them.

So, that has definitely taken the jam out of my donut 😦

Not quite sure what do now :((

On a slightly more upbeat note, on Sunday we went to the local car boot sale, and de cluttered majorly, and made a few bob whilst we  were there.  Most interesting sale was to a Grandma,  who bought my daughter’s Harry Potter cloak (aged 5-6) for her unborn grandchild.  Now there is some forwards planning!

In the spirit of cutting down on packaging and eating more healthily,  I made 2 loaves of bread over the weekend, and also made home made pizzas for Friday night tea.  I used some  locally milled bread flour, which actually tasted a little yeastier than than the flour I got from  Waitrose last time.  The farm shop where I bought it has some flour specifically for pizzas, so will try that next time.

12371259_10153992386107650_1500117647642472880_o

EN

 

Edit – Have found this post which seems to be the best one on the subject.  Will be applying a sealant to my new raised bed this week and then hopefully can get to filling it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s