Where to begin? I’ve made what are for me, some pretty momentous decisions recently, and decided I ought to capture them for posterity. Whether the blog will survive once these decisions have been either fulfilled, or fall by the wayside is another matter, I guess that depends upon the outcome, and whether it looks like anyone is at all interested in what I’m doing/writing about.
First then, a little bit about myself is probably necessary. I am an approaching 40 mother of 3 girls, aged 10, 15 and 17, trying to hold down a full time job, and cope with the varying angst ridden hormonal disasters which go along with teenage girls. I ought to add that I do have a (long suffering) husband, Mr EN, who also helps with these matters. We also have 2 horses and a bunny.
Whilst I have been aware that there are concerns about Global Warming, it is not something I have ever taken much note of, until fairly recently. I can’t quite recall what finally opened my eyes to the full enormity of it, but a colleague of mine has certainly helped, and it was following reading a book he recommended Sharon Astyk’s ‘Depletion and Abundance: Life on the New Home Front’ that I was really spurred on to take action.
So, I wanted to capture somewhere the decisions I’ve taken as a result of my new found knowledge, and then hopefully record my progress with them over the next year or so.
- Become vegetarian – I took this as a result of two pieces of information that came to me in quick succession. From an eco point of view, this article had a big impact on me : https://www.chathamhouse.org//node/19182 And from a health point of view, this news made me sit up and think, that’s a risk I’m not prepared to take.
- Not buying anything for a year – Ok, so I don’t mean literally anything. But I do mean anything not absolutely necessary. So exclusions are food and basic personal hygiene items. Also knickers and socks, but mainly for my youngest, as she’s constantly growing atm. Books I will still buy, but either second hand, kindle version or will loan from library/friends. If there is something we desperately need, I will source locally second hand, or build/create myself.
- Growing my own food – I want to grow a good proportion of my own food this year.
- Buying locally sourced products – I want to try to get as much food that I can’t grow, from local sources.
- Make as much as I can that we need.
- Decrease my energy consumption by 25% over the following year.
- Seriously decrease the amount of packaging/plastics we as a family consume.
- Pay off an extra 5% of my mortgage this year (more next year as I work my way towards Financial Independence – we have big commitments this year)
- After this year, not have any further holidays abroad.
So, more blogs to expand on these items over the next few weeks. I have lots of plans in the pipeline, but a major hurdle is most of my family think I’m crazy, and humour me rather than actively buy into any of my plans.
Posts are necessarily short, as I will be writing them in my half hour lunch…..but hopefully will be frequent. Watch this space 🙂